PART – B
51. Two identical spring balances S1 and S2 are connected one after the other and are held vertically as shown in the figure. A mass of 10 kg is hanging from S2. If the readings on S1 and S2 are W1 and W2 respectively, then :
(a) W1 = 5 kg and W2 = 10 kg
(b) W1 = 10 kg and W2 = 5 kg
(c) W1 = 5 kg and W2 = 5 kg
(d) W1 = 10 kg and W2 = 10 kg
52. A stone is thrown horizontally from the top of a 20 m high building with a speed of 12 m/s. It hits the ground at a distance R from the building. Taking g = 10 m/s2 and neglecting air resistance will give :
(a) R = 12 m
(b) R = 18 m
(c) R = 24 m
(d) R = 30 m
53. A sphere of volume V is made of a material with lower density than water. While on Earth, it floats on water with its volume f1V (f1 < 1) submerged. On the other hand, on a spaceship accelerating with acceleration a <g (g is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth) in outer space, its submerged volume in water is f2V. Then :
(a) f2 = f1
(b) f2 = (1 – a/g) f1
(c) f2 > f1
(d) f2 = f1
54. Two identical containers X and Y are connected at the bottom by a thin tube of negligible volume. The tube has a valve in it, as shown in the figure. Initially container X has a liquid filled up to height h in it and container Y is empty. When the valve is opened, both containers have equal amount of liquid in equilibrium. If the initial (before the valve is opened) potential energy of the liquid is P1 and the final potential energy is P2 then:
(a) P1 = P2
(b) P1 = 4P2
(c) P1 = 2P2
(d) P1 = 8P2
55. A particle is moving in a circle of radius R with a constant speed v. Its average acceleration over the time when it moves over half the circle is :
56. Two forces of 5.0 N each are acting on a point mass. If the angle between the forces is 60°, then the net force acting on the point mass has magnitude close to :
(a) 8.6 N
(b) 4.3 N
(c) 5.0 N
(d) 6.7 N
57. Which one of the following is not an igneous rock?
58. Which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. Hypocenter is the point on the surface of the Earth, nearest to the focus.
2. Velocity of earthquake waves is higher in denser materials.
3. P waves move faster and are the first to arrive at the surface of the Earth.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 and 3
(c) 1 and 3
(d) 3 only
59. In terms of geological time scale, the quaternary period consists of two epochs. They are:
(a) Pleistocene and Pliocene
(b) Holocene and Pleistocene
(c) Pleistocene and Miocene
(d) Holocene and Eocene
60. Which one of the following is the correct sequence of arrangement of the given planets in descending order of their density (in gm/cm3)?
(a) Earth > Jupiter > Venus > Saturn
(b) Jupiter > Earth > Saturn > Venus
(c) Earth > Venus > Jupiter > Saturn
(d) Earth > Venus > Saturn > Jupiter