The Indian Space Research Organisation has marked a big milestone by successfully testing its heavy-lift launcher while launching an advanced communication satellite.
For Further Reading, visit “The Hindu“.
Below is today’s Vocabulary for The Hindu Editorial (Another Orbit: on GSAT29 launch) – Nov 16, 2018.
Read This Article: – Another Orbit: on GSAT29 launch
Today’s Vocabulary for The Hindu Editorial (Another Orbit: on GSAT29 launch) – Nov 16, 2018
- Geosynchronous orbit (noun) – भू-समकालिक कक्षा
Meaning – a circular orbit around the Earth having a period of 24 hours.
Sentence – This required that it would be launched into a geosynchronous orbit that is, one with a period equal to one sidereal day of 23h 56m.
- Bear (verb) – सहना, ले जाना, संभालना
Meaning – (of a person) carry.
Synonyms – carry, take, transport.
Sentence – He was bearing a tray of brimming glasses.
- Take off (phrasal verb)
Meaning – lift off, be launched, leave the ground.
- Manoeuvre (verb) – पैंतरेबाज़ी, चालाकी, कौशल, छल करना
Meaning – move skillfully or carefully.
Synonyms – move, navigate, guide, direct (carefully & skilfully).
Sentence – She tried to manoeuvre her trolley round people.
- Unfold (verb) – उधेड़ना, प्रकट करना, प्रकाशित करना
Meaning – Open or spread out from a folded position.
Synonyms – communicate, report, present.
Sentence – The white flowers were just starting to unfold.
- Stand out (phrasal verb)
Meaning – be more significant; be better than others.
- Payload (noun)
Meaning – The part of a vehicle’s load, especially an aircraft’s, from which revenue is derived; passengers and cargo.
- Cater (verb) – पूरा, सेवा करना, चलाना
Meaning – Provide people with food and drink at a social event or other gathering.
Synonyms – fulfil, satisfy, serve.
Sentence – My mother helped to cater for the party.
- Joins the ranks of (phrase)
Meaning – to become a part of a large group (of something).
- Far fewer (phrase)
Meaning – much less (with a large difference).
- Propellant (noun) – फेंकने योग्य, बढ़ाने वाला
Meaning – A substance that propels something.
Synonyms – fuel, power source (in a rocket engine) to provide thrust during launch.
Sentence – The main uses of CFCs are in aerosols as propellants.
- Cryogenic (adjective) – तापमान कम करने वाला अथवा कम तापमान से संबंधित
Meaning – Relating to or involving the branch of physics that deals with the production and effects of very low temperatures.
Sentence – A powerful cryogenic engine.
- Precede (verb) – पूर्व में होना, अधिक महत्त्व का होना, पूर्वकालीन होना
Meaning – Come before (something) in time.
Synonyms – come before, go before, go in advance of, lead up to, lead to.
Sentence – A gun battle had preceded the explosions.
- Morale (noun) – हौसला, मनोबल
Meaning – The confidence, enthusiasm, and discipline of a person or group at a particular time.
Synonyms – confidence, enthusiasm, team spirit.
Sentence – The team’s morale was high.
- Dent (verb) – काटने का निशान, धंसना
Meaning – Mark with a dent.
Synonyms – diminish, reduce, weaken.
Sentence – He hit a concrete bollard, denting the wing.
- This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
- 15 November The Hindu Vocabulary
- 14 November The Hindu Vocabulary
- 13 November The Hindu Vocabulary
- 12 November The Hindu Vocabulary