Directions : In this section you have a short passage. After the passage, you will find some items based on the passage. First read the passage and then answer the items based on it. You are required to select your answers based on the contents of the passage and opinion of the author only.
Studies serve for delight, for ornament, and for ability. Their chief use for delight, is in privateness and retiring, for ornament, is in discourse; and for ability, is in the judgment, and disposition of business. For expert men can execute, and perhaps judge of particulars, one by one; but the general counsels, and the plots and marshalling of affairs, come best from those that are learned. To spend too much time studies is sloth; to use them too much for ornament, is affectation; to make judgment wholly by their rules, is the human of a scholar. They perfect nature, and are perfected by experience: for natural abilities are like natural plants, that need pruning, by study; and studies themselves do give forth directions too much at large, except they be bounded in by experience. Crafty men condemn studies, simple men admire them, and wise men use them; for they teach not their own use; but that is a wisdom without them, and above them, won by observation. Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.
41. According to the author, why should one study ?
(a) To gather information about the world
(b) To pass the time in a creative way
(c) For pleasure, enhanced capability and holistic growth
(d) To become only worldly wise
42. Why does the author not recommend too much of studies ?
(a) Because it reflects idleness
(b) Because it requires too much money
(c) Because it is dangerous for the health of the mind
(d) Because it makes men crafty
43. According to the author, how can the studies be perfected?
(a) By reflection
(b) By application
(c) By conversation
(d) By experience
44. Which kind of human beings denounce studies ?
45. According to the author, one should read to
(a) only argue
(b) only believe
(c) evaluate and understand
(d) preach and believe
Fill in the blanks
Directions: Each of the following sentences in this section has a blank space and four words or group of words given after the sentence. Select the word or group of words you consider most appropriate for the blank space and indicate your response on the Answer Sheet accordingly.
46. The Election Commission on Saturday _______ that the Assembly elections in five States will be held from November 12 to December 7.
47. The victims were fruit vendors and they were going in an auto when they ________ an accident on the way.
(a) met with
(b) ran into
48. Scores of villagers are ______ a sit-in protest against the construction of a new underpass.
49. It is common for patients to stop _______ medicine as soon as they start feeling better.
50. A four-year-old girl got a new lease of life after doctors at a hospital cancerous tumour from one of her kidneys.
|Read Also :