41. Place where birds are kept
42. One who does not care for literature or art :
43. A person who is made to bear the blame due to others :
44. Food which agrees with one’s taste :
45. To mediate between two parties in a dispute :
46. The branch of medical science which deals with the problems of the old :
47. Yearly celebration of a date or an event :
48. A person who lives alone and avoids other people :
Direction (Q. Nos. 49 to 53) : Choose the correct meaning of the idioms out of the four alternatives.
49. To turn over a new leaf.
(A) To change completely one’s course of action
(B) To shift attention to new problems
(C) To cover up one’s faults by wearing new marks
(D) To change the old habits and adopt new ones
50. To wrangle over an ass’s shadow.
(A) To act in a foolish way
(B) To quarrel over trifles
(C) To waste time on petty things
(D) To do something funny
51. To give up the ghost.
(A) To die
(B) To make false appearance
(C) To terrify others by acting in suspicious manner
(D) To leave useless pursuits
52. To take the bull by horns.
(A) To punish a person severely for his arrogance
(B) To grapple courageously with a difficulty that lies in our way
(C) To handle a problem easily
(D) To bypass the legal process and take action according to one’s own whims
53. To spill the beans.
(A) To reveal secret information
(B) To misbehave
(C) To keep secrets
(D) To talk irrelevant
Direction (Q. Nos. 54 to 58) : Select the most appropriate set of words in the following questions out of four alternatives.
54. The best punctuation is that of which the reader is least conscious; for when punctuation, or lack of it, ______ itself, it is usually because it _____.
(A) obtrudes, offends
(B) enjoins, fails
(C) conceals, recedes
(D) effaces, counts
55. The argument that the need for a looser fiscal policy to ____ demand outweighs the need to ____ budget deficits is persuasive.
(A) assess, minimize
(B) outstrip, eliminate
(C) stimulate, control
(D) restrain, conceal
56. The Athenians on the whole were peaceful and prosperous; they had ____ to sit at home and think about the universe and dispute with Socrates, or to travel abroad and ____ the world.
(A) leisure, explore
(B) time, ignore
(C) ability, suffer
(D) temerity, understand
57. The internet is a medium where users have nearly _____ choices and ____ constraints about where to go and what to do.
(A) unbalanced, nonexistent
(B) embarrassing, no
(C) unlimited, minimal
(D) choking, shocking
58. From the time she had put her hair up, every man she had met had groveled before her and she had acquired a mental attitude towards the other sex which was a blend of ____ and ____ .
(A) admiration, tolerance
(B) indifference, contempt
(C) impertinence, temperance
(D) arrogance, fidelity
Direction (Q. Nos. 59 to 63) : In the following groups of words, only one is spelt correctly. Choose the correct one, out of the four alternatives.